Thursday, December 14, 2006

10 days to Christmas

Yesterday after I posted my Black Christmas rant I went shopping for Christmas presents at the Smáralind mall and what did I find? The annual Katla baking company's gingerbread house competition was being held there instead of at Kringlan where it has heen held up to now. First I smelled a lovely aroma of spices and baking, and then the houses came into view. There are not as many fancy or over the top professional-looking houses in the competition as there were last year, but there are more houses that look like they were not just made to enter into the competition. Below is the fanciest house, and one of only two that I recognised as models of actual houses. This is a model of Höfði house, the house where many official receptions are held by the city council of Reykjavík, and the site of the 1986 Reykjavík summit between Reagan and Gorbachov. I will post more photos from the competition in the following days.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


No comments: