Thursday, June 09, 2011

Mysore: A place to stay

My friends dropped me off at New Statue Circle, a large roundabout located at the northern end of the park that encloses the Maharaja's Palace. I still had a weak stomach and wobbly legs after my bout of gastroenteritis and decided I wanted creature comforts wherever I stayed, especially air-conditioning and the possibility of room service. Fortunately there was a hotel nearby that fulfilled both of these needs and also those of a clean, quiet room, soft mattresses and a private bathroom. Plus the location couldn't have been any better: a taxi stop outside, the market within walking distance and the palace just across the square. The only drawback was that it had that dreadful neither-here-nor-there air of business hotels the world over, and could in fact easily have been located either in London or New York, Indian staff and all, except I can't see myself bargaining for the price of a room in such a place in London.

I made a friend of the doorman the very next morning when I asked him where I could get an Indian breakfast, and he guided me to an excellent no-frills eatery just down the street, where I had my first taste of idlis, delicious south-Indian savoury cakes, served with coconut chutney and a spicy dipping sauce.


2 comments:

Rajan P. Parrikar said...

Idli-sambaar-fresh coconut chutney with a cup of coffee - is there a breakfast more delicious and more healthy than that? Throw in a couple of apams and you've arrived in heaven.

Bibliophile said...

Make that chai instead of coffee and add fresh curds with honey and I might be inclined to agree with you. Certainly beats the toast with jam and insipid tea in my hotel by a long mile.