Sunday, August 21, 2011

Even the best laid plans...

Tonight is Culture Night in Reykjavík, an annual event where cultural events take place all over the city, starting around noon and going on until the early hours of the morning. The high point is the fireworks show and since I have a new camera, I decided to see how I would do photographing the fireworks.

My little Canon PowerShots both have fireworks programs and I have taken some pretty good fireworks shots with them, but the Nikon D7000 does not have a pre-set fireworks program, so I started by finding out what would be the best manual settings. Then I went out and scouted for a good location, rejecting several places because they were either likely to be too crowded for a photographer with a tripod, or I would have to walk for half an hour to get there because the city centre was closed off to car traffic. I got to my chosen location at Sæbraut around 10:35 p.m., 15 minutes before the start of the show, set up my camera and shot some test shots to determine the exposure for the ambient light, because the light of the setting sun was still colouring the horizon right behind where the fireworks would go up. Then the show started, and:




So far, so good. Then something unplanned-for happened. It turned out I had forgotten to take the wind, and the mild breeze that was blowing blew the smoke from the fireworks straight towards the place where I was standing. Therefore the rest came out like this (needs Flash to run):



Oh, well. At least I got some practice for the big one on New Year's Eve.

2 comments:

Petra said...

Hehehe, ash clouds on Iceland ... ;)

Sorry for the bad joke. ;) I just found your blog and will surely come back. I was in Iceland last summer and I loved it so much!

Bibliophile said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Welcome back any time.